Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Life is a series of RE's


RE-a prefix, occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, used with the meaning “again” or “again and again” to indicate repetition, or with the meaning “back” or “backward” to indicate withdrawal or backward motion:



The last few months have been a series of the prefix  re for me ....make that the last 20 years. I live in a world of design where we repeatedly update our surroundings and in turn ourselves. My daily vocabulary consists of:

Redefine
Rebuild
Recreate
Redesign
Recover
Reupholster
Remake
Reinvent

It is just recently that I realized the whole world is re-ing with me and at a more furious exhausting pace than normal. My friends, peers and even my idols are all caught in the thrux of repeatedly changing.

Fate dropped an article in my lap that sent me running to read the book "Slow Love" by Dominique Browning.  As the editor of House and Garden magazine for 12 years she is one of my idols. Surrounded by the some of the most talented designers, writers and photographers she seemed to have it all.

An excerpt from her blog http://www.slowlovelife.com/

"I have a new book out, called Slow Love. Writing it inspired me to launch a blog, called Slow Love Life. No, this isn’t about my love life, though that, too, has hit a speed bump. (Okay. A pothole.) I want to write about moving at a gentler, more loving pace in everything I do, learning to appreciate the beauty of everyday moments, the wisdom of thinking things over. I was forced to slow down when I lost my job--and the journey of grieving and recovery is what my book is about. Slow living led me to falling in love with the world, experiencing what I think of as slow love.


I invite you into the conversation I have been having with my friends about what slow love means. We want to engage with the world in a more meaningful way--especially as things seem to be speeding up all around us. That’s what the pieces in Slow Love Life will explore--along with the playful moments. "


The book and the blog are both worth a peek...so sit down relax and enjoy the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment